Endurance Camps is honored to partner up with Come Together Widows and Orphans (CTWO).
Based out of Kenya, CTWO’s mission is to bring together and support widows and orphans in an effort to curb abuse, victimization and poverty and provide orphans with an education.
Here are some disturbing facts. Widows and their children suffer greatly in Kenya.
As a result widows and their children:
- Become victims of mental, physical and sexual abuse including rape.
- May have to undergo customary ‘cleansing’ rituals including being forced to have unprotected sex.
- Are looked on with hatred and suspicion and are considered evil and to be bringing bad luck.
- Can be systematically tortured and attacked (to the point of murder)
- Are forced to commit degrading acts, like eating human flesh, having sex with a dead body.
- Are accused of murdering the husband.
- Are robbed of any inheritance and/or land and personal belongings..
- Maybe separated and the children taken away by the husbands extended family.
In addition to the above a widow may:
- Have all her hair shaved off, jewelry stolen and be forced to wear black for the rest of her life.
- Not be allowed ever to remarry, or may be forced to remarry someone not of her choosing.
- Be stopped from attending important ceremonies including the marriage or burial of her own children.
- May be left destitute and have to resort to prostitution.
- Consider committing suicide to end their hardship.
It is VERY important to give back.
“Kenya has always held a special place in my heart. I grew up admiring all of the amazing distance runners and always pictured myself visiting one day. I never realized just how bad the human rights are for widows and orphans. Excited to give back to such a great cause!” – James Adams, Founder of EC
EC will donate 10% of all of its proceeds to CTWO in an effort to help. What is consider small amounts here can mean a world of difference in Kenya:
- Capital to start green grocery for a widow $ 40
- School fees per child (primary school) $ 200/year
- School fees per child (secondary school) $ 500/year
- Sponsor an orphan $30 monthly ($360 per year)
- Sponsor a household for a widow $650